Monday, April 15, 2013

Welcome to the flock

Today I picked up the 12 chicks that my former students hatched.  The mom of one of the girls told me I should count the chicks and then the younger sister counted them out loud.  There were 9.  I chuckled and thought maybe they were stashing a couple in the house to keep a little longer.

A few minutes later I saw them pull the chicks out of their sweatshirt pockets and I laughed.  The girls have been caring for the chicks very well since they hatched last week and I've seen pictures of the chicks in the sleeves of their robes and now I've seen them tucked in pockets.  They've named them all and know all of their personalities.  Meanwhile I will need pictures and notes to keep the names straight.



I got them all home and into a temporary brooder with the five buff orpingtons that I bought two days ago.







Everyone is doing well and tonight when I went to go check on them, they were almost all passed out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment