Sunday, April 7, 2013

The building of a shed - alone

Today I was determined to start making progress with the shed/chicken coop.  I got these pieces to my yard two months ago and they haven't moved since because the person who said he would help me, has disappeared.

It took two people and a child to move some of these pieces the first time and we had been talking about using three people to rebuild the shed, but I figured I could get everything done except for the roof by myself if I took things apart so they weren't as heavy and hard to handle.  It wouldn't be ideal, but at least I could make progress.

Besides, I'm hard headed and stubborn.

The pile that's been sitting in my yard for two months
The first step was getting the beams for the base of the structure out from under the foundation of the shed.  And then I knew I was going to need to lay them out in the goat pen, raising one end, and making sure everything was level and stable.

I had to pry the plywood off from the base, saving the nails as I went.  I carried all of the 2x4s and 4x4s into the goat pen, found bricks behind the house and hauled those around, and then moved this final piece, to the gate with a little help.


Thank God for this cart, it's been a lifesaver
Once I had it in the pen, I pushed and pulled it standing upright back to where the coop is going to be.


Getting the foundation put back together

Foundation done!
I started working on this project at about 10AM and finished the base around 2PM.  I did stop for 30 minutes or so to go inside, but otherwise I was working the entire time.

My goal for the day was only to get the foundation set up, but once I got close to finishing that task, I knew I wanted to get more done.  So I started taking apart the longest wall of the shed.







The paneled siding from the wall
I did get it taken apart but I will either need to take some of the 2x4s off, or I will have to cave and ask for help to move the wall.  

I still have 3 other walls to work on taking apart, although I know they can be moved as they are if I would just pick up the phone and call a friend to come help.



I'm thinking the roof may have too much damage from the rain and snow to salvage since it's been sitting on the grass for so long.  The good news is, the 2x4s looked good so I'm hoping at the most I will only need to buy a pack of shingles (an extra pack came with the shed but that wouldn't cover the entire roof) and some particle board/sheathing.

I may cave and ask for help next weekend, especially since I think I am hosting a BBQ for the youngest son's classmates on Saturday afternoon and I feel like I could get this done next weekend IF I had an extra person.

My back is a little sore.  I think I will be hurting tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment