Monday, April 22, 2013

Moving Day

Although the coop isn't completely done, it was done enough to move the birds in.  So last night once all the birds were in the old coop, I took each of them and moved them into the new coop.  They were a bit shocked and stayed huddled by the door.  Half way through the move, I went inside and put them on the roost bars.




Apparently the other half of the birds didn't understand they could follow suit, so they got up in the nesting boxes.



I moved them around, making sure the rooster got a higher perch.  Then I was able to clean out the old coop and move the hatched chicks into it.

They too stayed huddled near the door in confusion



By morning they had moved to the other corner of the coop and because of the cold temperatures I put a lamp in for them.  I'm not sure that they have figured out the hanging food as I saw them scratching around in the shavings.

Clyde and the hens were all still perched and happy.  They'll be locked in there for a couple days so that they learn it is their new home.  Luckily there is a lot of space.  I need to do some more work, but I think it will do for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment