Saturday, February 16, 2013

She's gone broody

Not all chickens will sit on a nest of eggs and let them hatch.  It's a hormonal thing and they decide to do it whenever they decide to do it.

It's called "going broody" (brew-dy).

Silkie Sue has gone broody.  I have only seen her on the nest for the past 3 or 4 days.  Today was my chance to see if she really was going broody or if my timing was just off.  I let all of the birds out to free range this morning, and Silkie Sue wasn't moving.

A few hours later she came out to drink some water and get some snacks.
Silkie Sue is our girl with the apron

I ran to the coop so see the 5 or 6 eggs she had been sitting on...


I think that's more than 5 or 6 eggs

THIRTEEN eggs?  And that green one in the middle is HUGE.  She's only laid three of those eggs (she lays small green ones)  so I have no idea how she got the other eggs.

I wrote the dates on the eggs because I think I will try to get any other ones that are laid.  I've never hatched eggs before, so we will see what happens.

Apparently my animals seem to think this is the time to have babies because Jenny has gotten HUGE.  There has got to be more than one kid in there.  



No comments:

Post a Comment