Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A weekend of work

This weekend was a major weekend of work.

Saturday we spent the day pulling trash out of the woods.  I was determined to do a final trip to the scrap metal yard so we were getting serious about finding everything.   We dragged another water heater out, a washer machine, an oven, a piece to an old tractor, a huge propane tank, a metal headboard, and tons of rusty cans.

We even found this saw.  I thought about hanging it up in the house, but figured I have enough "stuff" already.



Saturday night, I got my February seeds planted inside, on the dinning room table.

The cups on the right were the ones I made out of shredded newspaper

ALL of the cups like these have various tomatoes

This whole tray is a variety of lettuce
Sunday I was outside with the chainsaw, my favorite tool.  I have been meaning to cut up some trees that I had to cut down a few months ago and dragging dead trees and branches out from the woods.  I was trying to clean up the back side of the house.



After seeing the pictures my son took - I need to work on NOT making faces when I'm working
I also borrowed a hacksaw to cut the tires off of a bunch of rusty rims we found in the woods.

Sunday night we picked up a trailer I rented and went to get some mulch.  Shoveling mulch is far less fun than it sounds.  I thought we got a good amount, until I saw the piles we unloaded.  Looks like I will be getting more.



Monday morning, we loaded all the scrap metal in the trailer and headed to the recycling center.


The dumped pile.

The payday

Don't get too excited, this money plus the money we got from the last load, is going to pay a landscaping guy to come do some work in my garden today.

The day had only just started.  From here we went to Lowe's to pick up some stuff I needed, then to pick up some pallets of wood for another project.  We went home to eat before heading out to get 2 yards of soil that we shoveled into the garden and into a raised flower bed I've been working on, and then to another town to pick up an old swing set and slide that I'm going to use for the goats.

Honestly, I had another pair of strong(er) hands to help with the shoveling of the soil and the swing set, or there is no way I could have gotten this all done.

I didn't get everything I wanted done - I still want to get a load of mulch, and I didn't get a load of hay like I wanted to... but my body is pretty darn sore today.

No comments:

Post a Comment