Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Calling it a day

I spent about an hour making newspaper planting containers.  I don't want to say pots since they were small. The biggest issue was that I didn't want big ones since only one seed will go in each little cup.  I also didn't want them deep since they're just for the pre-planting time in the house.

Cut up the newspaper - actually cut it to half this size

Then cut that in half, and folded the top edge over

A Maglight flashlight was the best size I could find to wrap around

For the first 20ish, I folded the ends together.  After 20ish, I started using tape.

Folded the bottom up and twisted my hand around it to try to tighten it.

I couldn't set them down or they would start to come apart
 I made four at a time and then could hold them in each section of this tray and fill them with dirt.  Once the dirt was in, they stood up on their own and didn't fall apart.
40 cups here for the next wave of indoor planting in a couple weeks

I planted the cauliflower, scallions, and calendula (a flower the chickens will eat)


Here is a picture of the lettuce

And the broccoli finally started popping up


I moved a few huge boulders that took me awhile to maneuver  but I'm nearly done with the final bed and with raising the middle bed.  I still have to raise the largest flower bed that's at the front of the house.  I realized that it needs to be higher if I really expect it to hide the foundation of the house.  I had used much larger boulders, but it looks like I need a second layer.

I also brought in the rocks I collected this morning to paint as garden labels and strawberries when they dry.

I have to get the raised beds done tomorrow because I go back to work on Thursday and Friday and I'm renting a trailer to get soil on Saturday.

I wish I'd gotten more done today, but I also have to admit that I got 6 out of 9 things done on my list for today.  My back is starting to ache.


No comments:

Post a Comment