Saturday, August 4, 2012

How many people own an outhouse?

When I bought this property there were a few "shacks" just behind the treeline.  We sneaked up to them and took pictures of them because I was actually fascinated by them, but before we could close on the sale of the house, the lender said they had to be torn down for insurance and safety reasons.



The seller tore down the three shacks that were visible and left a huge pile of debris behind.  He didn't touch the two buildings that were 100 feet away and about 10 feet deeper in the woods.

I thought one of the buildings looked like an outhouse and I joked about it.

About 6 months after moving in, I had started to clear out the debris by burning it in the fire pit we built and cutting down the grape vines that were growing like crazy in the woods.

Little by little I got closer to the narrow building that I called the outhouse.

Finally the day came where I was able to open the door.  And yes, it really was an outhouse.  There was even a roll of toilet paper inside.
No, it doesn't smell despite his worry

How many people have a real outhouse on their property?

It's been 7 months since we uncovered the structure, and it is still standing.  I realize I should probably just tear it down and burn it too.  But I also find it funny when people come to our home and we're standing in the yard and I can say....
"Oh, and if you need to use the restroom it's right over there..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment