Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tucking the girls in

One of our youngest girls has decided to go broody.  Every night for almost a week, I have found her in a nest box on the eggs from that day.  I keep taking them from her because we need eggs to eat, but she won't budge.  The last few days there haven't been very many eggs and I'm wondering if she's scared the girls off.


I think this was only confirmed tonight when I found an egg on the ground in the coop.







And then another egg was hidden behind the feed can.




Sigh.

I also continue to notice that the mean guinea is scaring the girls away from the roosts at night.  Every night there are fewer girls on the roosts and they are further away from the guinea.  I keep moving them back but I know I have to make a coop just for the guinea or they will ruin it for the girls.



 And then there was SilkieSue and her babies.

 It is just so cute to see her with a baby tucked under her wing.  Last night she had a baby under each arm and tonight she had just he smallest one tucked away.  The babies aren't really babies anymore since two of them are just about as big as SilkieSue is.





I just can't wait until I can get the new coop built and everyone can have more space.

No comments:

Post a Comment