Friday, November 22, 2013

Just asking for trouble

A friend of mine emailed a few of her chicken people (that includes us) to see if we wanted to order any chicks for an April delivery.

This is going to be trouble.

The place she is ordering from has some pretty birds that I have been interested in so I know I will end up getting some.  I'm not not sure what the smartest move is.  If I wanted pure bred birds to breed, I need to keep them in separate chicken runs so they won't mix and have mixed breed birds, but if I do that, then I should focus on just a few breeds and I like having a pretty variety.  Decisions are tough.

The breeds I am looking at that I think I would like to have are:

Columbian Wynadotte


Black Jersey Giant

Silver Laced Wynadotte


How can you not see how gorgeous these birds are?  They're all known for being good egg layers too.

The only other one they had that I have thought about is a Blue Orpington.  I have a few Buff Orpingtons now and I think the Blue's are pretty, but they're also $13 more than the first three that I like and I feel like I'm not that serious of a chicken breeder.  I'm not a chicken breeder at all!

Blue Orpington

Tomorrow we are going to a chicken show for the first time.  It's about an hour away but I thought it would be interesting to see and there is a chance I could buy something.  I don't think it is too likely, but there's always a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment