Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Since when does finishing a roof require someone to lose a finger?

It's been about three months since I got the large chicken coop rebuilt.  In that time, I still hadn't finished putting the shingles on half of the roof.

Today was the day.  I made the boys stay home with me and we wheeled the shingles and nails out to the coop.  I climbed up there and was making great time covering the roof.  When I was about three-fourths of the way finished, the oldest climbed to the top of the ladder and was helping to hold the shingles in position and I even let him nail a few in.

We got down to the last four shingles, and somehow, I'm still not sure how, I managed to hammer my pinkie finger.  I yelled ouch and as I pulled my hand against my body I saw blood and a huge slice.  I immediately grabbed my finger with my right hand and told the oldest that I'd just chopped off the top of my finger.  I was able to calmly tell him to get to the house and bring me back gauze before I had to start telling myself, out loud, to breathe.  He ran off and then I told the youngest where to go find me a rag and an ice pack.

Once I was wrapped up, I insisted that we finish nailing the last four shingles on and then we got off the roof and came inside.



I got the bleeding stopped and I didn't cut off the piece of my pinkie completely.  I cleaned it as best as I could considering I kept feeling light headed (I don't do well with injuries once the emergency is over).  Then I wrapped it in fresh gauze.  I don't think it needs stitches.

The chicken coop roof is done.   I just have to fix the oyster shell dispenser and finish painting two sides of the coop and I can declare it completely done.

Just another day... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment