Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Good Bye Boys

We finished putting the shingles on the big chicken coop this morning (finally!) and had come inside for a few minutes when two women pulled up outside.  They asked if we sell chickens (to eat) and I said that I actually did have a few boys that I needed to get rid of.  I had just taken pictures of them yesterday so that I could try to sell them.


Clyde Jr. wouldn't stand still for the camera

I made her promise that when she killed them she would do it fast so they wouldn't hurt and then the oldest son and I went to catch them.  We sold them these two and also the "stranger" rooster from next door.  I felt bad handing them off to her, but I know I can't keep them all and I can't eat them myself so this was the best alternative.

We got to talking and she told me how in her culture they eat the flowers from squash bushes, so I told her to take some from my garden as well as the lettuce that I can't keep up with eating as fast as it has grown.

The amazing part is that out of the 9 chicks that Silkie Sue hatched, only three were boys (Bubba, Clyde Jr., and the unnamed boy above.)  That is a very good ratio.

I'm a bit worried about not having enough boys now, but I know we have boys in the younger batch of birds and I know that when/if I get more birds, I want to go with purebred ones so the rooster would need to be purebred as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment