Monday, July 22, 2013

Not a real farmer

By yesterday afternoon, BuffyToo was no longer eating or drinking.  I tried giving her yogurt, and tried putting her beak in the water, but she wasn't interested.  She could no longer stand up straight and was standing in the corner of the box because the walls were balancing her upright.

I wrapped her in a towel and tried to feed her again without any luck.  When I set her back in her box, she fell forward with her face in the food dish.  I had no other choice but to wrap her back up and sit down on the couch with her.



I could tell she was losing control of her body as her head was twitching and turning at times.

I held her until about 10:30, when I had to go count the birds outside and lock everyone up.  I laid her back in her box with some hand towels under her head so she wouldn't have her face in the sawdust.  And that is where she died.

I wrapped her in one of the younger son's old Toy Story shirts and buried her next to Poopers and Bubba.  

This has been the hardest one for me to lose and I am fully aware that real farmers everywhere are shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at me.  "It's just a chicken" and I am clearly not very good at losing one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment