Saturday, June 1, 2013

What in the world?!?!

Three days ago, I heard a rooster crow on the other side of the garden.

The problem was that Clyde was standing about 20 feet away from me.  I stood up straight and looked in that direction thinking maybe one of the first batch of chicks crowed.  I knew it was too soon, but I didn't think of anyone else that would crow.

Clyde turned towards the sound.  Waited a moment, and then crowed back.

Just as I was about to walk in that direction, Clyde took off ahead of me.

I got to the edge of the garden just as Clyde stopped, 10 feet away from a rooster that we'd never seen before.

Clyde planted himself between his women and this stranger
 I'm sure this is just another escapee from the neighbor's barn, but I was still a little nervous about my birds getting in a fight with him.


It wasn't more than a couple of minutes before he was gone.

Two days ago, I saw the rooster again, standing outside our goat pen, about 100 feet from the chicken run, where my birds were still locked up.  He disappeared before I let everyone out to free range.

Today, I let everyone out to free range and then around 9, I went to lock up the coop.  I was in the coop for about a minute talking to Big Red before I looked up and saw this.


He's in my coop!  I couldn't believe it.  

I'm sure he wants to feel safe in a home instead of out in the woods, but I'm shocked that he just walked into my coop with 21 birds in there and a HUGE rooster.  I mean Clyde is three times the size of this guy!

I could tell the older chicks aren't happy, and Big Red isn't happy because the chicks have taken her spot since the rooster is in their spot.  I'm guessing Clyde won't be happy in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment