Monday, March 18, 2013

Stinky Chickie

Mama hen was going after the little chick that had been soaked in the rotten egg after it hatched.  I didn't know why so I snatched the poor thing up and brought it up stairs with me.


And we took a nap together
The widdle itty bitty chickie fell asleep

I was surprised that I was able to sleep for two hours with the chick on me.  I was so worried about the dog jumping up to lick it or about me rolling over and smoothing it.  I did have to adjust my arms and legs a few times and she'd wake up chirping, but I kept her warm and she'd fall back asleep with me.

I realized that she still smelled like rotten egg and I wondered if this was why the hen was attacking her.  The only solution was to give her another bath to try to get the smell off.




I really don't think Faith likes more "babies" in the house
So after a few minutes of eating.  It was bath time.

I don't think she was very happy

Under the heat lamp, the hen pecked once but it wasn't hard.

I moved a stuffed animal in with her since the hen wasn't interested in keeping her company

See her to the left next to the stuffed animal

She did fluff back up after a few minutes.

She smells better but still faintly like the rotten egg when she's up close to your nose
The hen seemed to be fine but an hour later when I went back down to get something, I saw her chasing the poor chick and pecking it.  I snatched her up to safety, grabbed one of those little fuzz balls that you can see sleeping next to the stuffed animal, and brought the two of them upstairs into a box of their own.


No comments:

Post a Comment