Tuesday, November 20, 2012

We lost three guinea

Saturday night Johnathon was told to put the guinea and chickens in.  He went out for a minute or two and came back saying he "couldn't get them".  The guinea have been on top of the chicken run and on a high tree branch many times and he's always been able to get them in.

The next morning when I went out to let the birds out and feed everyone I saw a pile of feathers in the middle of the yard and only four guinea in the chicken run.  I searched everywhere for the three missing birds but only found three big piles of feathers and a piece of a wing.

The evidence points to a fox getting them sometime in the very early morning.  They must have come down from the tree or the chicken run and come out of the goat pen where the fox attacked.  I kept wondering why they didn't run or fly back into the goat pen where the predators won't go.  I kept wondering why I didn't go out the night before to make sure the birds were put in properly.  I kept wondering if Johnathon would finally learn a lesson about doing something correctly and completely.

I know this is part of living this life.  Death to our outdoor animals from wild animals is inevitable at some point, but it's still a cruddy feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment