Saturday, November 10, 2012

Our first predator

The neighbors had a dog on their property for a few days and it didn't take long for it to find it's way onto our property.  Johnathon saw it chasing our chickens a few times and every time he would take the dog back to the neighbor's barn, it would come back to our house.

I finally tied the dog up so it couldn't go after the birds and text the neighbor to tell him to come get the dog and to keep it off our property.  He apologized and said he would keep it locked up.  It wasn't his dog, but it had already attacked his puppy.

The next evening when we got home it was later than usual and I was going to park the car at the top of the driveway aiming my headlights at the chicken coop so I could go close it up for the night.  I got about 10 feet from where I was going to park when I slammed on the breaks - there on the ground was a pile of feathers.

I jumped out of the car with the boys and we found saw two other huge piles of feathers in the yard.  The feathers were all white in two areas (our Leghorn rooster) and long black and white speckled feathers in the initial pile we found (Clyde, the rooster that Johnathon has taught to eat from his hand.)

We raced into the goat pen and looked into the coop.  The birds were huddled inside and we couldn't count them because they were all crammed in one corner.  We saw the two roosters, and we saw blood, but my first priority was to see who was missing since those we could see were alive.  It took several minutes and several attempts at counting the birds before they were all accounted for.

We got a flashlight and did our best to be gentle while inspecting the birds.  Both boys had ALL of their tail feathers ripped out.  Rooster (that's what I call him still) has the worst injuries.  I can't tell exactly how bad things were because he was in too much pain but he is missing a LOT of feathers and there was blood in several areas.






What we pieced together was that the boys were protecting the girls from the dog and they were running from the attacking dog.

I went over to yell at the neighbors, the owner of the dog was actually there but suddenly said he "gave the dog away" as soon as he knew his dog has hurt my birds.  One of the guys at the barn promised to keep the dog locked up, but the next day it was on our property again.  I tied it up and called animal control, they picked it up a few hours later.

After the attack - his entire rear is nearly bald

Before the attack (and before he fattened up)

No comments:

Post a Comment