Monday, November 26, 2012

Down one rooster

Rooster (really, that's his name) has been getting more aggressive.  Based on everything I've read and been told, you simply can't have an aggressive rooster.  And by aggressive I mean that he is going after people.  Roosters can claw out eyes, rip open skin, and do some serious damage.

He went after me once a few weeks ago and I used the old-school method of chasing him right back until he backed down, and then chased him for a few minutes to embarass him in front of his girls.  He's left me alone ever since.

He's gone after Jeremiah but Jeremiah was too scared to chase him down and put Rooster in his place.

And then, this last week, Rooster went after me again.  He would not back down.  For a good 60 seconds I was swinging a stick at him and even kicking out at him trying to get him to just back away and stop trying to attack me, but he would not back down.  I finally got him to stop going after me and I chased him a bit to make my point.

Five minutes later, he was after me again.  I actually made contact kicking him (not hard, but enough to scare him and to try to protect myself) and he still wasn't backing down.  He actually went through my shoe and hit my foot with his beak at one point.

Rooster has to go.  :(

I'm looking for someone to take him and I'm not sure if he will become a member of a flock or a piece in a chicken soup, but I don't want to know.  Roosters aren't usually wanted for anything more than meat unless they are pure bred roosters so I have a feeling that's where he will end up.  That is a part of life, I do eat meat, I just feel bad that I knew him and named him and that's where he might end up.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment