Thursday, July 26, 2012

Who's the boss

Three days ago when Jeremiah came into the goat pen to help put the guinea away, Carrie went on the attack.  She was head butting him and with horns that are pointing out away from her head I'm sure you can imagine how this could hurt.  She even got on her hind legs at one point and was walking towards him.  Jeremiah was freaked out (understandably) but I also knew that if he didn't stand up for himself it wouldn't stop.  Spanking her didn't stop it, nor did yelling at her so I googled.

I quickly found the same information on each of my go-to goat sites.  They said that Carrie was trying to make it clear where her place was on the pecking order - above Jeremiah.  Jeremiah hasn't been around the goats very much because he's just not that interested in them.  He's also not that much taller than the younger goats.  It makes sense that Carrie saw this as a "new" person coming around and she probably thought she could put him in his place because of the size similarities.

The solution according to the experts is that Jeremiah would need to flip Carrie over and pin her down immediately after she attempts to head butt him.  I explained this to Jeremiah and the next day I showed him how he would have to do it.

He's a bit too short and she was a bit too tall so I had to step in a little to help him grab her legs and lay her down, but once she was pinned I stepped back.  I wanted her to understand that HE was the one in control since that's where the issue lies.

I don't have video (yet) of the complete flip, since I was involved in doing it and I only have two hands, but I do have video of him once he got her pinned.  I'm sure you will notice the look on his face.  He is a bit more hurt that he has to prove his place to her and he wasn't so angry looking the second time.




Experts say that this only has to be done once or twice before Carrie will understand she isn't above him on the pecking order and she'll stop going after him.  Experts were wrong.  She's definitely decreased and now only seems to try to sneak in a side rub against his leg and then sort of tilts her head so a horn touches him.  Definitely not hurting him, but we just can't figure out if she's trying to sneak a subtle jab in or just get his attention for more petting.
  
Same video - uploaded a different way in case you can't see the first one:

He's ready to flip her and pin her down if he needs to though.

No comments:

Post a Comment