Monday, July 30, 2012

Frustrated on the Farm

I bought the 8 chickens from someone I thought was a friend.  I told him I wanted a specific breed of chickens, he said they were.  I found out the day I picked them up that 3 were purebred and the other 5 were mixed with the breed I wanted.

It's been about 5 or 6 weeks now and I just found out that NONE of them are the breed I wanted.

Oh wait it gets better.

There are only three females, and 5 males... plus I bought the white male rooster so that's 6 males.

Roosters are like typical steroid gym guys at a bar - they'll fight over the chicks and try to show who's more powerful.  That also means that I won't be getting many eggs - chickens lay (on average) 2 eggs every three days.  So in a week I'd get about 7 eggs with my current batch.  I had been planning on getting about 18ish every week so that I could share with friends.

This all came about because I'd decided to name them and I took pictures to help keep them separated, and then after some research with the pictures I found out the truth about my bunch...

So I'm looking for new homes for 5 of the guys and when the fair comes to town in 2 weeks I can buy some new females since I saw them selling last year.

Here are the men:
The rooster that we are keeping - he already crows




Both of these are boys


And here are the girls:


The girl is the one in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment