Sunday, October 26, 2014

No more outdoor fun

Friday night, the youngest wanted to sleep in my bed.  Despite my protests, I shared the bed with him and Cash.  It was a good thing, because in the morning he pointed out that Cash's eye was swollen and then his mouth.  I hadn't noticed it, but it was pretty obvious.





I did a little google research and read that it was an allergic reaction and the best thing to do was to give him benedryl.  So we ran to the store with him and gave him the recommended dose.  About an hour later he was back to normal.

We left home to do a few things and when we came back at about 2, he was still doing fine so I thought we were home free.

Then we came home again at about 5 and the youngest pointed out a swollen lump on Cash's side that I had also noticed.


I thought maybe this was where he got bit or stung and this caused the swelling in his face, but then I started checking his body and found similar swollen spots around his neck, on his other leg, and on his head.  I gave him some more benedryl but within thirty minutes I saw that his face was swelling up even worse than before.

His eye was so swollen on top that he couldn't open it

So I looked up an emergency vet and we ran down to the vet.  Just in the hour window of when we noticed the lump on his side to getting to the vet, he was in bad shape.






We were at the vet for a pretty long time.  Cash was also showing some signs that the spots were itching so I did my best to rub him without scratching to make things worse.



They gave him shots of steroids and benedryl and after they saw that the swelling was going down, they let us go home.

All we know is that he is allergic to something.  While he could have been stung or bitten, I'm not sure when or how since I'm always in the goat pen when he is out there running around.  I'm wondering if it was a reaction to a plant that was out there that he may have rubbed against or touched.  But no matter what it was, he isn't able to go run around in the goat pen anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment