Sunday, March 9, 2014

Silver Laced Wyandottes, odds against me

Well, it looks like the odds are against me with the Silver Laced Wyandottes.  A couple weeks ago I tried to see if I could determine their sex based on their combs.  The brighter red and larger they are, the more likely that they are boys.  At that time, I thought I had 6 boys and 6 girls.

Today, since they are now three months old and a few are larger than NormaJean and her siblings, I decided to move them to the new coop with Clyde Jr., Silkie Sue, and the smaller hens.  After I got them all moved over, I sat down with them and started looking closer.




And the more I looked, the more I saw signs for the boys.


I had read that Silver Laced Wyandotte boys would have more black feathers around their neck and I definitely saw that the birds that had more black feathers also walked more like roosters and typically had larger and brighter combs.


Here is one of my boys
 And I kept coming up with seven boys and five girls.  I definitely have too many boys, and while I knew I would be getting rid of some of them, this also only leaves me with five pure bred SLW girls.
The boy is standing alone at the fence, and the girl is standing in the foreground of the other two.
This post was shared with the Homesteaders Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment