Sunday, December 15, 2013

Just a little freezing on the farm

We had our first accumulation of snow here, and then things melted just slightly, and froze again.  It was a cold morning with a lot of ice and I'm not sure anyone on the farm has experienced this before, other than me.

A cut of hot water was needed to get into the goat pen

Every branch was draped in ice
I've been thinking about how the roof to the chicken run needs a major update and cleaning, this morning confirmed that for another icy reason.






And then I opened the doors for the chickens.  One lone cockerel decided to venture out, but only an inch.


And then he was pushed out by Clyde Jr, but quickly turned around and headed back inside the new coop.


Even Kelly and Carrie weren't willing to come outside.




Every tree and branch was weighed down by ice and many had broken off completely.



 I hadn't considered that our garden fencing would struggle so much if I left it up for the winter.  Luckily it didn't break, but I will have a lot of mending to do in the spring.





The good news is:  It was all so beautiful!


This post was shared on the Homesteaders Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yuck! We got snow and sub-zero temps, but here in Colorado we don't get much in the way of ice. Ice is much worse :-( Good luck!

    ReplyDelete