Monday, January 19, 2015

The hunt is on


Last week, Silkie Sue was killed by a raccoon.  We found her body with evidence to prove who killed her.  It was sad because she's been such a great girl and was a wonderful mom hen to so many of our hatches.  She was also in the very first batch of girls that we got.

So we had a hunter come set traps to protect the rest of our birds and I set up our game camera.

It was only the second time that I pulled the card and I saw this fox walking across the driveway into the garden area.

A few days later he caught a fox.  He also was tracking the foot prints and found two sets of fox tracks, at least one raccoon and an opossum.

This morning the youngest came running inside to say that a opossum was in one of the traps.  I went out to snap a picture and felt really bad.  It's so cute!



The trapper came and took care of things.  I don't know what that means because I don't want to know.  I know he's let some things go before, especially younger animals, but I know I need to protect our hens so I just let him do what he does best.

No comments:

Post a Comment