Saturday, January 17, 2015

Firewood

I came home from the gym this morning and decided it was time to start cutting up the trees that the county chopped down.  I knew it would be easier to cut them when they were still fresh, and I figured it was an eye sore.  I cut them into firewood size chunks with the chainsaw and then had the boys come out to help me.

We loaded up our little trailer and I'd drive them up the driveway to unload behind the house where our firewood pile is.  

The first load
 I told the oldest that he gets to split them with the ax and I went back down to get a second load with the youngest.

When I came back, I was suprised to see how much he'd split.



Picture doesn't show all the wood he'd split

So I decided to give it a try too and was happily surprised to see that I was able to split wood!  The only other time I tried this was about a year ago and I don't think I even made a dent in that piece.  I had fun splitting up several logs and then tossed all the pieces over so the youngest could stack them.


He was able to fill the stack with what we split and some logs that I wanted to keep whole and there is still a ton of logs to split.



There are still quite a few more trees that I need to chop up that are down by the road.  I'm guessing it will probably be another three or four loads in the trailer.  I know I'll have fun using the chainsaw, but I think the oldest will get pretty tired of splitting the wood very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment