Monday, June 9, 2014

Pheasant hatching

The same girl that asked us to hatch some duck eggs under our broody girls also asked us to try to hatch some pheasants.  



Sadly, we had several hatch but they kept dying.  I thought they were falling out of the nest boxes, but when I moved them down to the ground, I still found one dead.  So when the last two hatched, and the final one didn't look well so I had to help it out of the shell, I moved them into the house in a cage.


Unfortunately, this hen didn't prove to be a good mom and she kept pecking the little ones.  I also found one of them trapped behind the box twice.  So I swapped her out and brought Silkie Sue in since she has a good track record of hatching and taking care of her chicks.


They both survived two days until their owner could come pick them up.  Whew!  Never had such a stressful hatch before!

No comments:

Post a Comment