Saturday, June 7, 2014

I didn't expect that

We knew that the guinea were laying eggs somewhere, but we hadn't stumbled upon the nest yet.

Then the oldest told me that he saw the nest by the big tree.  A few hours later when I was going outside to check on the chickens I heard a guinea go crazy across the yard and an orange stray tabby cat came from the area the guinea was trying to hurry away from.



Upon closer inspection I found this.



Holy cow!  While I was trying to decide what to do with all of those eggs, I witnessed the guinea fowl mate for the first time too!


We ended up with 53 eggs!


I put four under each of the 7 broody hens and then put the rest in the incubator.  We don't want any more guinea, but I think we should be able to sell the keets once they hatch and hopefully if the hens hatch them, it will end their broody days.

No comments:

Post a Comment