Monday, February 10, 2014

More Chick Pics

We finished our hatch Monday night, with 19 out of the 28 eggs hatching.  We had tossed the 5 eggs that weren't fertile half way through the incubation  process, which means only 4 out of the 23 eggs that we expected to hatch, didn't hatch.  An 83% hatch rate is pretty good, although I feel horrible about those four being developed inside the eggs but not getting out.  I will let the oldest son do egg-topsies to see how developed they were.




One of the last little ones to hatch was this guy.  I saw that he'd zippered the top of his shell completely open, but hadn't pushed the top off and gotten out.  It was about 5AM when I noticed he had zippered, and by about 1PM nothing had changed and I started getting worried so I pulled him out.  I pulled off the hard part of the shell and he was able to push through the rest and he's doing great now.


They're all in the basement with heat lamps now and will be down there for several weeks before I can readjust all of the chickens outside to make room for these guys in the smaller coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment