Saturday, August 24, 2013

I thought the eggs were bad....

We came home from a very long day and I told the boys I was going to take a nap.  My last message to the oldest was to feed the goats and to let the adult chickens out to free range.

Within minutes, I was completely passed out on the couch.

The next thing I heard was the oldest bursting through the door screaming "Mom!  Come out here quick!!!!"

I jumped up and it only took me three steps to get through the kitchen towards the door.  I was planning to run outside, in my socks to chase off a fox or save one of my birds when he added "We have chicks!"

Really?!

#1 I thought the eggs all went back since SilkieSue got off the clutch for several hours.

#2 I didn't want any more chicks as they're too much work and I swore that any more birds I got would be pure bred.

#3 I'm sleeping, and we've had chicks before.

I just yelled "Really?!?!" and went back to the couch to sleep.

When I woke up, I took the camera and went out to see what we had...

It is a lot harder to not want them once you've seen them






There were three chicks when he saw them earlier, and now there are four.  There's only one egg left and I didn't hear any peeping and didn't see any pip marks so it may be a bad egg.  I'll check later tonight.

I guess I'll be going out to buy chick starter feed tomorrow.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment