Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Little Ghost Story

I think it's time to tell this story....

Last year, I had just come home from my usual 4AM trip to the gym and was standing at the stove cooking my usual 2-eggs-for-breakfast meal.  The house was silent since the boys were asleep, at the time we had a male renter who was also asleep, and it was still pitch black outside because of the time change.  I was just about done cooking when I heard...

"Hello?"

It was a female voice.  A young, childish, female voice.  I froze with my hand holding the spatula over the pan of eggs.  I tried convincing myself that the voice was outside and someone would knock on the door in just a moment, but the truth was that I heard the voice come from the end of the hallway, where the boys rooms were.

There was no one there.

After a few moments, I ran to my computer to send a message to my real estate agent who makes it very clear that she believes in ghosts and loves to hear ghost stories.





My house is old.  While the deed shows that it is about 50-60 years old, I met the son of the previous owner and he gave me more history.  The house was originally built long before that and was the "summer house" next to the home that had been standing next door.  While he never said that anyone died here, it's been pointed out that this area was a battlefield at one point in history.

I wasn't a real believer in ghosts, and even though the oldest would constantly run up the stairs from the basement and do everything in his power to avoid going down there in the first place, nothing had made me believe they were real, until this.

And then, some other memories came back to me.  Things that had happen since we moved in that I dismissed or didn't really think about at the time.

About a year after we moved into the house, I was laying in bed in the early morning.  I heard one of the boys' footsteps walk across the hardwood floors down their hallway, across the dinning room, across the carpet in the living room, and across my carpeted bedroom to the foot of the bed.  Now, when I heard the kids coming, and I'm still in bed, I will quickly close my eyes and pretend to be asleep (which never works, because they wait only a second before "Mom, can I have..." and waking me up.)  And so, I had done the same thing that morning several years before.  But their voice to wake me up never came, so I opened my eyes with a sigh.

There was no one there.  I hadn't waited long to open my eyes and the footsteps had never turned and left my room.

A few months ago, someone else was staying at the house watching my youngest son while I had taken my oldest son out to an event. The story that I was told as soon as I came home was this:  My youngest son had been asleep for about an hour and the man and his own son were sitting on the couch.  I think the son was reading and he was on his computer working.  They heard footsteps coming down the hallway, he thought it must be my youngest son, except that they were the tapping sounds of high heels.  He said he went down the hallway, no one was there, and my youngest son was sound asleep.  A while later, they heard the sound again.  The distinct sound of high heeled footsteps coming down the entire hallway.

Another time, I came into the house and closed the door behind me.  About 60 second later I was standing across the kitchen and the front door opened.  In three years, I've never not closed the door completely, there was no gust of wind and no other door in the house had been opened to create a change in air pressure to have opened the door, and there was no one on the other side of it.

The older son has always claimed that he knows there is a ghost in the house.  He says he feels like someone is chasing him out of the basement every time he goes down there.  He's even claimed to have heard someone say something to him twice now.

A few months ago we cleaned the basement.  It was the first time I'd ever really gotten one if the rooms cleaned up so I wanted picture proof of what I'd done and I snapped a few pictures.  Afterward, I looked at the pictures and saw this.




A couple months after that I was sitting in bed working on my computer when the oldest son came running into my room.  It was after ten at night and he'd already been in bed.  He said that he came out of his room to go to the bathroom and he saw something at the end of the hallway.  A tall dark figure was standing there.  He did a double-take and he said the figure sucked into itself and disappeared.  He was in my room for at least 30 minutes, terrified of going back to his room.  He finally did, after he turned on every light in the house.

About two weeks after I heard the voice say hello to me, I got up early and went to the gym like usual.  When I returned home an hour later, the kitchen smelled like stale cigarettes.  That distinct smell of someone's clothes that smoked hours before.  No one in our house smoked, everyone was asleep, and it hadn't smelled that way prior to me leaving the house.

I've been asked to take pictures in an attempt to see a ghost.  I will admit that I would get up and go take pictures all over the house on random evenings and nights just to try to catch something.  I never have.  I spent hours going back through thousands of pictures that were taken at events inside our home, and I never saw anything in the pictures.

But then I looked at the pictures I took before we purchased the home.  Some people say this is lint on the lens and other people think these are "orbs" and signs of ghosts.  You can decide.


And then, just before I finally got around to posting this, I was sharing these pictures with one of my classes.  A student yelled out that she'd seen something in a picture that I'd quickly passed.




I didn't see anything, until she ran up to the screen and pointed at the mirror.


This has been shared on the Homesteaders Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment