Friday, June 29, 2018

A project that came too soon

Three of the bedrooms have carpet, and after a little peek at the corner I knew there were original hardwood floors underneath.  My goal is to one day pull them up and finish them myself.  I thought that project might happen next year.  

And then we had a bad house guest that ruined the carpet in our main guest room.  I had no choices but to take on the project now.

 So I started here.  Thinking I'd tear up this section first to see what was underneath.


And I lucked out, big time!




 So I pushed the furniture over into the main part of the room and kept tearing.



One section of the room came up very easily.  There was carpet tape around the walls, and I wore my fingers out getting it pulled up.  Seeing those floors was worth it.



Then, I woke up the child and made him come help me.  We moved the furniture back into place and moved the things in the main part of the room to one side and kept working.

see his feet? he was actually working!
We only found one section of flooring that doesn't' match where they must have done a patch, perhaps over a larger air vent on the floor.  Unfortunately there are four strips of the carpet tape that did not want to budge.  For now, they are stuck there.  I think the floors are pretty enough the way they are, and my plan is in tear up the carpet in the other two bedrooms (that is nailed down) and then this winter we will rent the machine to sand them before we re-finish them.





No comments:

Post a Comment