Sunday, March 6, 2016

Playing Possum

This morning the oldest was helping me in the garden and he dragged a trash can over for us to load with dead weeds and grass.  He quickly freaked out saying there was something in the trash can.  I was a safe distance away, so I told him to figure out what it was.  He knocked it down and there laid the possum.



While he did look fierce with those teeth, he wasn't moving at all and the longer I stood there staring into his face, the more pity I took on him.  I told the oldest that he couldn't kill him, as I thought for sure it would go running away as soon as the coast was clear and our chickens would be fine since we were around.

An hour later we had to leave, but I still thought the thing would run away when our noise was gone.


We got home later and he was gone.  Yay!

A few hours later, I sent the youngest to fill up the chicken waters and he said he was going to get the eggs from the coop.  It wasn't long before I heard him yelling and screaming.



This time, the possum didn't feel the need to play dead.  As he walked across the beam getting closer to me, I closed the door and trapped him inside.



Unfortunately, since he was now inside the coop and knew where to find our chickens and eggs, I had to call someone to take care of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment