Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Not another one

I got a text message from the oldest when I was driving home from work today.

He said there was a duck hanging out with our chickens.

No!

No more animals. No more pets.  No more.  I am trying to be responsible and get some other projects taken care of before I start taking on more animals, especially animals of a different kind.

When I got home, the duck was waddling around the yard, and I have to admit it was pretty darn cute.



When I went out tonight it was on top of a wood crate near the goat pen and I just know that something would come snatch it at night.  So the oldest and I went out there and were able to catch it after a few minutes.




She's in a crate in our mud room now.  The oldest says it's a "she".  I really don't want another animal but how could I just leave this outside to fend for itself?  It is pretty darn cute.


UPDATE:  A friend of ours who is also a "chicken lady" saw my post and said she would take the duck.  She came by a few days later and picked her up.  I'm glad to know she's going to another chicken person, who has experience with ducks.  :)

2 comments:

  1. welcome to homesteading... all sorts of creatures find their way to you. we had peahens and peacocks show up... blown in with a storm. literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a Muscovy duck to me. Certain states have actually had to place a ban on breeding Muscovies because there are huge communities of wild ones. (mostly Southern states) This one probably grew up in captivity and flew away, then found your farm and thought it felt like 'home' so she decided to stay! I'm glad that you found a place for her! Great post.

    (Oh, I found your post at the Homesteaders hop)

    ReplyDelete