Sunday, December 2, 2012

Building another coop

Decided to put together information about how our chicken coop was built.  Our first one was made from the same material but was built the original way - horizontally.  I decided to make this one vertical for a variety of reasons.

First I found these huge shipping crates on Craigslist for $10 months ago.  When we went last time we could only fit one in the truck that I was using.


I found the man's phone number and called him asking if I could come buy some more from him and he agreed.  They were about an hour away

 
We were able to fit three of the large crates (they are over 6 feet long, 3 feet and 4 feet tall) on the trailer that I rented.  Then we fit a 3 foot by 3 foot crate at the back inside the last big one.  We also had some extra pieces of wood tucked in on the other side.  

This was the future coop.  By this point I'd removed the huge blocks of wood off the bottom by simply removing the entire bottom of the crate.  I installed some thick pieces of wood on the new bottom with wheels so I can move it into the goat pen easier and then flipped it up horizontally.



Got a new side put on where the former bottom was (took this off one of the other crates.)  And I painted it with wood sealer so that it can withstand the weather.


I added the nesting boxes that I made out of 3 gallon buckets from a dollar store and scrap pieces of wood. And I added three roosting bars.  I am worried about the top row of birds pooping down onto the lower birds so I may add a "poop bar" later.  A poop bar is a piece of wood that I would put under the roosting bar to catch the poop.  If I use linoleum or metal on it then it's easier to clean.


I sealed the floor but I am hoping to raise the floor a few inches.  Either by making the "floor" that they walk on be fencing so everything falls through and I just have to clean out the very bottom, or by actually making the floor higher and thicker than it currently is.





No comments:

Post a Comment